This February 4th in Atlantic City, NJ, Sergeant First Class Marques Daniels of the US Army will be competing for his first professional championship bout. He will be facing Gabriel Miglioli at Ring of Combat XXXIV for the vacant lightweight title. SFC Daniels currently holds a professional record of 4-3. His last Pro fight was at Capitol City Cage Fight in Salem, OR, where he won by TKO in the first round. SFC Daniels is a Special Forces Recruiter based out of Ft Drum, NY.
I got a chance today to speak to SFC Daniels before he heads out on a recruiting tour for US Army Special Forces.
Tim Fowler: So let’s start with the obvious, how are you feeling for this fight?
Marqeus Daniels: I am very hyped up! Very Hyped! I hope he is training as hard as he can and he is ready. I know I will be. I can’t wait.
TF: So I guess it’s safe to say you feel ready?
Marques Daniels: (laughs) Yeah for sure.
TF: So what are your plans for your future in MMA?
MD: That’s a good question. I was just talking to my coach about that today. Right now my plan is to win this title and defend it. After I defend this title I want to move down to 145 pounds and fight for that title. I also want to defend my Army Welterweight title and validate that title as well. I really want to get some quality fights under my belt before I audition for The Ultimate Fighter again. I plan to audition at 145 pounds. My ultimate goal is to be in the UFC by Nov.
TF: No pressure! But you know you will have to face me this time at the Army Tournament. No hiding in a different bracket. (Laughs)
MD: (Laughs) Yeah that’s why I’m coming to your fight to do some scouting!
TF: So what do you know about your next opponent?
MD: I know he’s a Jiu Jitsu guy and he is from Brazil. I’m not sure what belt he is. Most likely a Brown Belt or high level Purple Belt. I expect he will try to get to the ground but if he tries to stay standing and do Muay Thai, then that plays right to my strengths. And hopefully I can get a chance to ground and pound!
TF: Where have you been training to get ready for this fight?
MD: I’ve been training with Marc Stevens from Jiu Jitsu Nation.
TF: How has it been balancing your Army Career with your Pro Fighting career?
MD: Very Easy. I’m very open to my command about what I do. I let them know from the beginning that I’m a fighter and this is how I stay in shape, this is my PT (Physical Training). It doesn’t hurt when you win the Army Combatives Tournament and a 3 star General gives you an award for fighting.
TF: That is pretty cool. It’s been good talking to you bro I’ll see you at the fights.
MD: See you there. Train hard!
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
whorestepmom.com
Post a Comment